All About Sage Ridge...
A school profile is an information sheet colleges use to understand a school’s background, mission, academics, and programs. A profile is a way for colleges to see what we offer as a private, college preparatory school and how our students perform academically. For a glimpse of Sage Ridge School through the eyes of a college admissions officer, take a look at our Profile.
Our Stamp of Approval...
Sage Ridge School is proud to be an accredited member of the Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS), and a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS). NWAIS accreditation requires adherence to the highest standards of operation and best practices, and a commitment to the mission of NWAIS and the following essential characteristics:
Commitment to the Public Good
Effective Governance and Operations
Physical Location or Place
Primary Focus of Academic Education
Commitment to the Best Interests of Children
In the evolution of an independent school, accreditation is the structured process that guides an institution’s growth and improvement. In addition to promoting school improvement, there are many other benefits that come about as a result of accreditation:
- Accreditation assures parents and the general public that the school is focused on providing a safe and enriching learning environment while maintaining an efficient and effective operation;
- Accreditation provides school leadership with an independent, non-governmental validation that the school they oversee is effectively delivering a quality educational experience to its students
Our current accreditation was awarded by NWAIS in May of 2007 and in the early Spring of 2015, the School concluded a two-year process of reaccreditation through self-examination and evaluation of our school community. The two-year self-study process resulted in a comprehensive document that outlines both the ways in which the college prep school is fulfilling its mission and the school’s self-identified strengths and weaknesses.
The self-study was shared in March 2015 with the NWAIS visiting team, which was comprised of 10 educators and administrators from around the region. The team’s four-day visit (March 15-18, 2015) involved the review of every aspect of Sage Ridge School's programs and operations and an assessment of their effectiveness in fulfilling the school's stated purposes. During its visit, the team talked with the school’s various constituencies and observed classes. In May 2015 the visiting team shared its own report that includes observations, commendations, recommendations, and suggestions to assist the School in its private institutional improvement. In the 2016-17 school year, the School addressed the visiting committee's four major conditions for reaccreditation, and NWAIS granted Sage Ridge School unconditional accreditation.
Copies of both the self-study report and the NWAIS report are available from Julia Ballinger in the Webster office.
For more information about NWAIS accreditation requirements, please visit www.nwais.org.
The Plan for Our Future...
For the past 20 years, the founders, trustees, faculty, staff, and parents of Sage Ridge School have been on a mission to make our college prep school a world class institution of learning for students in Reno, Nevada. Our quest has resulted in a school that provides our students with an exceptional college preparatory education in a supportive setting that allows them to grow their talents and develop their interests. We have exceptional learning at Sage Ridge and teach learning for life, but our work continues. Now, we must move on to the next steps in our planning process. That process involves clarifying our goals for the future of the school and stating the desired results of these goals.
In the fall of 2014, a group of faculty, trustees, and parents led by former Head of School, Norm Colb, crafted a Strategic Plan that outlines the following priorities:
- Resume the Board’s traditional responsibilities.
- Attract and retain outstanding faculty and staff; augment the faculty and staff with a school counselor and additional Technology Department personnel.
- Increase enrollment.
- Increase the monies raised by the Annual Fund and Gala, as well as contributions from alumni and individual donors.
- Continue and expand efforts toward building and maintaining a community in which students and parents feel supported and appreciated.
- Improve our facilities as outlined in the school’s Master Plan.
- Realize technology’s potential to enrich the instructional program, broaden and enrich the student experience, and engage students’ interests without eroding the relationships that are so central to the experience we offer.
- Add new programs and services that reflect what we learn from other outstanding schools as well as from our own sense of how best to serve our students.
View our Full Strategic Plan
America's Most Challenging High Schools rank schools through an index formula that's a simple ratio: the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Advanced International Certificate of Education tests given at a school each year, divided by the number of seniors who graduated that year. A ratio of 1.000 means the school had as many tests as graduates.
Sage Ridge School ranks 46th.
Best Private High Schools ranks 3,880 high schools based on key student statistics and more than 120,000 opinions from 16,000 students and parents. A high ranking indicates that the school is an exceptional academic institution with a diverse set of high-achieving students who rate their experience very highly.
Sage Ridge School ranks 163rd.